"Bubble Cake" recipe

I have been asked for a recipe for my cake in the previous post.
I use a recipe from this 35 years old book. The cake is originally Czech and it's name is "Bublanina", ( "Bubble cake"), because the fruit forms bubble like pockets filled with fruit.
In the book it is called "Cherry Squares", because the Czechs use mainly stoned cherries, as my mum used to.
Any fruit can be used, providing it is not too soft and wet, this would just make a horrible mess. I have used plums, redcurrants, blackcurrants, blueberries....
If you use small soft fruit, it helps to coat it in flour.
 Large fruit, like the apricots I have used this time, should be cut in half, stone removed and placed the cut side up.

1 - 1 1/2 lb (1/2 - 3/4kg) of fruit
4 oz (125g, 1/2 cup) unsalted butter
4 oz (125g, 1/2cup) sugar
3 egg yolks
4 oz (125g, 1 cup) self-raising or cake flour
1/4 tsp salt
1tsp baking powder
3 - 4 tb milk
1tsp grated lemon rind ( one lemon)
3 egg whites
vanilla sugar or vanilla essence (to your taste)

You should use a square cake tin, I use 24cm (9 1/2in), the cake mixture should be about 1in (2 1/2cm) deep when put in the tin.

Tip: I put everything but the egg whites in the food processor, give it a good whiz, pour it into a bowl and then fold in the whipped egg whites.

Pour the mixture in the tin and lay the fruit on top (some of it will sink). Bake at 180C, 350F, Gas4, until the top is a golden brown.

When cooled, sprinkle with icing (or vanilla) sugar and cut into squares.

Enjoy!