spring quilt - finished

A year ago we spent 2 weeks in a pretty town of Rattvik on the shore of lake Siljan, in Dalarna region of Sweden. (You can read more about our time in Sweden in "Sweden 2010" under "labels" on the left.)
I love shopping in Sweden, mainly for fabrics and items for home.
My favourite shop in Rattvik was this shop, on the main street:
full of things you never know you needed, until you visit.


I visited the shop several times during our stay and among my purchases was a selection of matching fabrics, which I thought would make a nice quilt.

I think this is the reason I love making quilts, seeing the transformation from a few pieces of fabrics

 to something hopefully beautiful and very useful at the same time


 

The green fabrics to compliment and for the backing, and also the pink for the binding I bought later in Midsomer Quilting .
It took me a while to decide on a design, I wanted to show the flower pattern at its best.
Eventually I found a design in the Magic Patch magazine.
All the quilting was done by hand, which wasn't always easy, due to a more open weave of some of the fabric.


I decided to call this quilt the "Spring Quilt", because the colours of the fabrics remind me of spring.
It will now live on our sofa to keep me warm during chilly summer evenings. It will always remind me of our holiday in Rattvik.


Threads used:
hand quilting : Aurifil 40, shade 2902 light sage
embroidery: Presencia Finca No8, shade 142