cross stitch

First of all I would like to let you know that I seem to be having a problem with commenting on some of your blogs, not all, but enough to make me feel frustrated with the blogger the last couple of days.
So, it is not that I don't want to come and visit, I am not able to :(( I hope this will get sorted out soon.

I haven't done much stitching this week, at the moment I am preoccupied with our tax returns.
As most of you in UK would know, 31 January is the last day for submitting tax returns.
If you haven't done it by that date, a big bad wolf will come and eat you. Well, not quite, but he will impose a hefty fine !
At least I wanted to catch up with your blogs, but as I can't, I looked for a subject which would hopefully interest some of you -  cross stitch.

I am not really a crosstitcher myself. I get bored with repeating the same very small stitch over and over. And it is hard on eyes. But -

recently I came across this book.


Quote: "this book is perhaps the first to document all the different motifs by origin used on traditional costumes", meaning Palestinian embroidery.
It is very different from the normal cross stitch kits you buy in the shops.
The book is full of beautiful, colourful designs, enough to make you want to take up cross stitching.





Isn't it beautiful?
I would like to try to use some of the designs on a quilt sometime in the future.

My record on cross stitch embroidery to date is very poor, yet it was probably the first stitch we all learnt.
A few years ago, to try to remedy this fault, and to take a project on holiday, I bought 2 kits, one for me and one for my DD (she is so much better at cross stitch then I am).
This is my one.


I saw these particular kits at a craft show and immediately they caught my eye. Why? Because the designs were so different. They are taken from watercolour paintings of the artist Michael Powell and I just love them. I wish I could afford to buy one of his watercolour paintings. Do have a look at them here .
Sadly, my cross stitch became UFO, but now and then in the summer it sees the light of day and I manage few stitches. A long way to go yet....



Enjoy your weekend!