new books

There are some new additions to my bookshelves I would like to share with you.

Firstly, this lovely book, just published,
"Folk Quilt Applique" by Clare Kingslake.

Back in June I read about this new book, which was due to be published shortly, on Cupcake Cottons blog and I new that I had to have it. The book arrived this morning and I just could not wait to open the package. As I did not know the author before, will I be disappointed? Would it be full of projects I will not have any interest in making, as it often happens when you buy a book you haven't had a chance to browse through?
I was pleasantly surprised. The title is self explanatory. The 20 projects included in the book are all very nice, I would like to make all of them, if only the time would allow! I like all the designs and especially, I love the colours and fabrics Clare Kingslake is using.



"Embroidered Textiles" by Sheila Paine, another recent addition to my home. I say home, because it is the kind of book you want around, to browse through when you are in the mood, so it is living on our coffee table for now.
Quote from the back page: "For lovers of embroidery, collectors of stitch, and even artists working in the medium, this study of pattern will provide rich pickings."
240 pages, 508 illustrations, 362 in colour - it covers embroideries from East to West, their applications, symbolism, meanings of various designs and colours. Have you noticed how much there is of the colour red in embroideries around the world?
"Red is the most powerful, the most vibrant, the most exhilarating of colours: it is the blood of life and of death." "Red threads and fabrics are associated with spirit worship and demons, with youth and marriage, with talismanic charms and secret powers. It is predominant colour in all tribal and peasant embroidery, but is used in two entirely different ways - to protect and to mark."
I have looked through this book number of times now, but there is still so much to see and read. It is a beautiful book for any embroiderer or anyone interested in embroideries.



"Embroidery Techniques from East and West" by Minni Srivastava:

I found this book when I was looking for inspirations after I attended a workshop "Indian Stitchery", about which I told you before.
The book explores Indian embroidery techniques and its uses in the western embroidery, including quilting and beading. This is a very good "follow on" book to my workshop, which I will find very useful.



"Textiles of Central and South America" by Angela Thompson:

"A fascinating exploration of the textiles of Central and South America", design and production, fibres and threads, embroidery, beadwork and various other thread crafts.
Another beautifully produced book for anyone interested in textiles from that part of the world.
I bought this book to help me in a research for a project, about which I will tell you you later, but I will enjoy this book for a long time to come.