September Friday

We set out early on misty autumn morning, but by the time we reached Devon and the Blackdown Hills, the mist has lifted, the sun started to come through and we could enjoy the beautiful views of the hills, with just a hint of autumn colour. Our destination today was this month's Creative Stitches & Hobbycraft show at the West Point, Exeter.
It was very busy as always. I come here to stock up with the necessary essentials, but also to see what is new since the last show, and exhibitions which are a part of the show.


The Devon Lace group with Allhallows Museum in Honiton staged a lovely exhibition of lace from the museum.










I would love to be able to make bobbin lace, but it is just another thing I just haven't got time for.

Knitting has definitely made a comeback and this was also reflected at the show, with new yarn suppliers. I was mostly interested in a couple of Devon companies, supplying alpaca wool:



where I bought this beautiful mix of alpaca wool and silk for a pair of gloves. It feels fantastically soft and I can't wait to knit with it!


Another local company is The Little Wool Company, which I hope to buy some yarn from in the future.

Another interesting stand was "Devon Weavers". Weaving is another on my list of things to learn.


 Also "Chinese and Celtic Knots".
 I long time ago I bought a book about knots, but I found it very difficult to learn this craft from a book. Knots can have so many uses, from embellishments to jewelery making.

There was also a small exhibition of costumes from the first series of Downton Abbey.










After leaving the show, we drove along the coast and stopped for a late lunch at a very pleasant pub,
The Masons Arms in Branscome,


and later drove down to the Branscome beach for a walk, on a warm sunny afternoon.






We finished our afternoon with a pot of tea, sitting outside a restaurant, overlooking the beach.

It was a wonderful day.