apples and hearts


Stourhead,
you have been here with me before.
This weekend we came here not only for a walk on a beautiful autumn day, but also to visit the Apple Day at the Stourhead farm shop, a regular annual event.


It gives us an opportunity to taste and buy a large selection of locally grown apples.
I love some of the wonderful names given to apples, for instance "Slack-ma-girdle"!


This area is also known for its apple cider and there are many producers here, old and new.
A relatively new company is  Fosseway Somerset Cider, which had a stand here today and we had a chance to sample their cider which is very nice.


 Needless to say that we came home with some of the "tastings".


I think I should explain a little the name "Fosseway".
Fosse Way was a road build by the Romans, which connected Exeter in the Southwest of England with Lincoln in Northeast.


It is possible that it was originally a defensive ditch to mark the western frontier of the Roman rule in Britain, and later filled in. Many parts of the original road still form parts of the roads today.
Fosseway runs through our county of Somerset, hence the name is used quite often here.
You can read more about Fosseway here.

Of course I could not help myself and I had to make an apple pie when back home, to keep to the spirit of the day.


--------------------------

My stitching week has been taken up mainly with the small blocks for the Scandinavian Christmas border. I am now glad that I have decided to finish the quilt as per the original pattern, it will give it a nice finish.



I have found this sign in the National Trust shop at Stourhead.
I think it will go so well with the quilt.


I have also made some progress on the Norwegian design jacket.


During the week I received my order of this beautiful lace yarn, from Nimu Yarns,
a mixture of alpaca, silk and cashmere. I first saw this yarn on rubysasha's blog, thank you rubysasha for "discovering" it!
I plan to make a large scarf rather then a shawl, when I decide on a pattern.
I have a couple of lovely patterns in mind. I like both of them very much, I just need to make up my mind.


I wish you all a very good week!